Report a Sewer Backup

Act 222, Public Acts of 2001    Claims Form    Department of Public Works

If you have a sewer back up please contact the Department of Public Works immediately at 893-6101 or City Hall at 893-0772 during regular business hours.

After regular business hours, holidays or weekends call 911 who will dispatch an on call employee to assist you.

The following is being provided pursuant to Act 222 of Public Acts of 2001 . Section 19(1) of the Act states in part;

“(T)o facilitate compliance with this section, a governmental agency owning or operating a sewage disposal system must make available public information about the provision of notice under this section.”

If you experience an overflow or back up of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, and you feel that you may have a claim for damages as a result of that sewer backup you must file such claim in writing with the Essexville City Clerk within 45 days after the overflow or back up was discovered or when in the exercise of reasonable diligence the back up or overflow should have been discovered.

Written notice by claimants must contain the information required by Section 19 (2)(c) of the Act or recovery of damages may be prevented.

A claim form stating the information required and a copy of Act 222 of 2001 may be obtained at City Hall or by using the link at the top of this page.

Claims should be mailed to:

Sarah J. Wilcox, City Clerk
City of Essexville
1107 Woodside Avenue
Essexville, Michigan 48732